Introducing Our New Oculus Go VR Headset
June 12th, 2018 | Robert McCown, Community Technologist
We now have an Oculus Go VR headset available for checkout. The Go is an affordable, standalone VR headset with a built-in display. In other words, you don’t need to bring your in your own phone for it to work. Similar to the Google Cardboard and Samsung Gear VR, it is a 3-DoF headset meaning it will allow you to move your head around in the experience but it doesn’t detect walking around. However, it does have a controller included for the apps where you are allowed to teleport around. Also, the straps on the headset have built-in speakers.
The Oculus Go will be a Tech Kit and thus can be checked out for use within Do Space just like our other kits such as the Dash & Dot, Arduino, Cubelets, and others. We are always up for suggestions on educational apps that we can install on the Oculus. Some of the ones we’ve added are listed below.
- Paint VR: A 3D painting app
- End Space: A fun spaceship simulator
- Wands : Cast spells with a wand using the Go controller
- The Turning Forest: An interactive fairytale in a magical forest
- Epic Roller Coasters: Physics-based simulation of various rollercoasters
- Coco VR: A Disney-Pixar VR experience based off the movie
- Discover VR: Experience a variety of places and animals from the Discovery Channel