Hello Code & Hello Code 2.0
Interested in coding but don’t know where to start? Don’t currently have the ability to participate in a full-time boot camp or degree program? Do Space’s Hello Code program will introduce you to coding through HTML and CSS over the course of five weeks. Whether an aspiring artist showcasing work, a parent rejoining the workforce, or a community leader organizing a neighborhood event, Hello Code can help you accomplish your goals.
For the safety of our staff and our members our winter Hello Code cohort will be online via Zoom. You will need a computer and access to the internet to attend.
Applications are open for both Summer 2021 Hello Code cohorts.
- June Cohort: June 13th – July 18th: 10:00am-12:00pm
- July Cohort: July 25th – August 22nd
- Last day to apply is June 2nd, 2021.
Hello Code 2
Hello Code 2 has been designed to supplement our existing Hello Code curriculum and create a pipeline for students who are hoping to enroll in a code school or bootcamp. Offered as a free program, Hello Code 2 is an accessible entry point for those who are serious about coding but who also need help taking that first step towards a computer science career.
Hello Code 2.0 will consist of eight, weekly, in-person meetings running September 12th – October 31st. These meetings are required and will take place on Sunday mornings via Zoom from 10:00am to 12:00pm. Students should also expect to work 3-6 hours per week of work on their own refining their skills and extending their learning. As a final project, students will be designing a responsive web app.
Applicants should be serious about developing existing coding skills and be well versed in HTML & CSS. They must also complete a basic coding challenge to be accepted into the program.
How do I sign up for Hello Code 2?
Applications for Hello Code 2 will open August 1st. The 2021 session of Hello Code 2 will run Sundays, September 12th through October 31st from 10am to 12pm. The application will close on September 1st at 12PM (Noon) and all applicants will be notified by September 10th.
HELLO CODE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Hello Code for me?
Hello Code is a commitment to learning how to create a website over the course of five weekly meetups. You should apply to Hello Code if you are serious about learning to code and live in the Omaha metro area. Whether you are interested in changing careers, contributing to community projects, or enhancing your existing job skills, learning how to code can help you boost your ability to connect with other people.
What kind of person should apply?
- You have a “whatever it takes” work ethic.
- You identify problems and work to solve them.
- You move quickly and hustle to find ways to overcome obstacles.
- You feel comfortable with computers and want to learn more.
- You enjoy meeting and working with new people.
How Much Will it Cost?
Nothing! Like all Do Space programs, Hello Code is offered FREE to the public.
What computer skills do I need?
You should feel comfortable using your computer. You should be accustomed to typing, using a mouse, navigating the internet, and using email and other programs. You do not need any previous coding experience.
What do I need?
- A Do Space membership (it’s free!)
- Must be 19 years or older
- Access to a computer and the internet (this can be at home, at Do Space, or any other location)
- An email address
- Agree to adhere to the Do Space behavioral policy and code of conduct
- Attend five online meetings during the course of your session
- Commit to completing the assigned online work set by your instructor between each meeting
How much work should I expect?
Learning computer programming is like learning to speak a new language; it requires lots of practice and patience. Each session of Hello Code will consist of five weekly online meetings. These meetings are required and will take place on Sundays between 10:00AM and 12:00PM. Between each meeting, you will complete learning exercises set by your instructor. Each week may require more or less work depending on the material.
How will participants be selected?
- We will select participants most likely to benefit from our program as explained in the paragraph on why you want to learn code on the online application form.
- We will prioritize teaching beginners comfortable with technology, but without formal computer programming experience.
- We will strive to create an inclusive and diverse group of participants.
When will I find out if I am selected for Hello Code?
Notices of acceptance will be sent out via email no later than June 5th.